- Information Reporting and Tax Compliance (with James Alm and Timothy Harris), 2020, American Economic Association: Papers and Proceedings, 110:1-6.
- Does a Value-Added Tax Increase Economic Efficiency?, 2020, Economic Inquiry, 58(1): 496-517.
- Can Reform Waves Turn the Tide? Some Case Studies Using the Synthetic Control Method (with Romain Duval, Bingjie Hu, and Prakash Loungani), 2018, Open Economies Review, 29(4):879-910, IMF Working Paper Version.
- Media coverage: VoxEU
- Evaluating the Economic Effects of Flat Tax Reforms Using Synthetic Control Methods (with James Alm), 2016, Southern Economic Journal, 83(2):437–463.
Research in Progress
If you are interested in talking about my research or yours, let’s get in touch.
- Decentralization and Regional Convergence: Evidence from Night-time Lights Data (with Saroj Dhital), 2018, Revise & Resubmit, Economic Inquiry.
- Using a Natural Experiment in the Taxicab Industry to Analyze the Effects of Third-Party Income Reporting(with James Alm, Brett Collins, Michael Sebastiani, and Eleanor Wilking). Under Review
- Supported by IRS Joint Statistical Research Program 2014
- Small Business Tax Compliance under Third-Party Reporting (with James Alm and Timothy Harris). Revise & Resubmit, Journal of Public Economics.
- Supported by IRS Joint Statistical Research Program 2016
- Information Disclosure, Audit Rates, and Corporate Reporting (with Jason DeBacker and Erin Towery)
- The Economic Effects of Payroll Tax Cuts (with Timothy Harris)
- Pass-Through of a Really High Excise Tax
- The Economic and Behavioral Effects of a Value-Added Tax: Firm-level Evidence from France
- Taxpayer Responses to Third-Party Income Reporting: Preliminary Evidence from a Natural Experiment in the Taxicab Industry (with James Alm, Brett Collins, Michael Sebastiani, and Eleanor Wilking), 2017, IRS Research Bulletin, Editor Alan Plumley, Washington, DC
- Sales and Personal Income Tax Exemptions in Louisiana. (with James Alm). Forthcoming, Tax Reform in Louisiana, Editors James Alm, James Richardson, Steven Sheffrin, Louisiana State University Press
- Internal Revenue Services and the American Middle Class. (with James Alm). 2017, The American Middle Class: An Economic Encyclopedia of Progress and Poverty, Editor Robert Rycroft, ABC-CLIO/Greenwood Press, Santa Barbara, CA
- Did Latvia’s Flat Tax Reform Improve Growth? (with James Alm). 2016, National Tax Association Proceedings from the 106th Annual Conference in Taxation