- Evaluating the Economic Effects of Flat Tax Reforms Using Synthetic Control Methods (with James Alm), 2016, Southern Economic Journal, 83(2):437–463.
- Can Reform Waves Turn the Tide? Some Case Studies Using the Synthetic Control Method (with Romain Duval, Bingjie Hu, and Prakash Loungani), 2018, Open Economies Review, IMF Working Paper Version.
- Media coverage: VoxEU
- Does a Value-Added Tax Increase Economic Efficiency?, Economic Inquiry. 2019.
Book Chapters and Conference Proceedings
- Taxpayer Responses to Third-Party Income Reporting: Preliminary Evidence from a Natural Experiment in the Taxicab Industry (with James Alm, Brett Collins, Michael Sebastiani, and Eleanor Wilking), 2017, IRS Research Bulletin, Editor Alan Plumley, Washington, DC
- Sales and Personal Income Tax Exemptions in Louisiana. (with James Alm). Forthcoming, Tax Reform in Louisiana, Editors James Alm, James Richardson, Steven Sheffrin, Louisiana State University Press
- Internal Revenue Services and the American Middle Class. (with James Alm). 2017, The American Middle Class: An Economic Encyclopedia of Progress and Poverty, Editor Robert Rycroft, ABC-CLIO/Greenwood Press, Santa Barbara, CA
- Did Latvia’s Flat Tax Reform Improve Growth? (with James Alm). 2016, National Tax Association Proceedings from the 106th Annual Conference in Taxation
Research in progress
- Decentralization and Regional Convergence: Evidence from Night-time Lights Data (with Saroj Dhital), 2018. Under Review
- The Economic and Behavioral Effects of a Value-Added Tax: Firm-level Evidence from France
- Taxpayer Responses to Third-Party Income Reporting: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in the Taxicab Industry (with James Alm, Brett Collins, Michael Sebastiani, and Eleanor Wilking)
- Supported by IRS Joint Statistical Research Program 2014
- Taxpayer Responses to Third-party Income Reporting: Evidence from Spatial Variation across the U.S. (with James Alm and Timothy Harris)
- Supported by IRS Joint Statistical Research Program 2016